Sunday, March 7, 2010

Bonsai

If there's one plant I'd go crazy for, it's gotta be the Bonsais. I like it for its sturdy looking structure, yet elegantly delicate while being so uniquely under-stated in its own way. My love for Bonsais must have started in my teens, but I can't quite remember what sparked my intense liking for it. I do remember those few times I stared at nicely grafted bonsais, I was lost in myself; marvelling at their delicate beauty. I loved them so much that I tried taking care of one myself more than 10 years ago.  Not surprisingly, that bonsai died a pitiful death in my hands, along with some other plants I attempted to nuture, and not forgetting killing my mom's cacti along the way (I only tried touching the sharp thingies o see how sharp they really were!!!) ...

Hence, staring and marvelling at the wonders of plants are just what I do nowadays. I draw the line in actually taking care of them for I make a lousy plant-caretaker. I don't have green thumbs and under my care, it's almost definite that they might die prematurely. The plants we have at home is solely Silver Bullet's responsibility and I only help water them once in a while; more for fear of me killing them all. I stopped thinking of Bonsais altogether, until the recent weekend away in Pattaya.

The hotel which we stayed in had  used Bonsais for most of their table decorations and given my liking for them, it is not that difficult to re-stir my interest.They even sold them at the lobby and each time I passed them by, I would gawk at them and mentioned that I'll buy one when we check out.  Checked out we did, but I changed my mind on purchasing it; mainly because I just couldn't be bothered to act on it in the end. It was too much of a hassle to go to the sales person, ask to take a look at a few, choose one which I like, pick, make a decision, linger around, pay, wait for them to pack, and make others wait while we are still lugging around luggages. You know, the works.  Also at the back of my mind, I don't think I want to be responsible for another death of a beautiful Bonsai...

I should have known though that the mentions of wanting to buy a 450 baht Bonsai plant in the presence of my mother-in-law while telling Silver Bullet to remind me each time we passed by there and then not acting on it in the end, would result in an utterly unexpected and a surprise gift a few days later! And that's exactly what they did.They bought me a Bonsai plant after we were gone. Honestly, they  they REALLY shouldn't have. Me and my big mouth..eventhough,  I love it! I love it! I love it! (Thanks Mum & Dad!).

Pretty, ain't it? Only, I don't think I'm capable of nurturing it without killing it and for good measures, will leave it in Silver Bullet's hand. I will, however, continue to be mesmerised by its beauty and marvel at its presence as it takes up a permanent resident in our balcony.

No comments: