Thursday, July 22, 2010

Wakakakakaka


Remember this?

Recently I stumbled upon a comment on Shakira's official theme song for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, stating that the chorus line of  "Waka waka eh, eh"  actually means....

... "my leg, my leg, short short"
.... in Hokkien (!)

How hilarious!

My knowledge of Hokkien is at best, all the swear words and vulgarities which were all duly inundated to me during my school years. Hence,  it does make me wonder if the literal translation of waka waka eh eh is for real. Any Hokkienites out there willing to verify?

2 comments:

Kim said...

Hey, look. I'm no Hokkien. But given my inclination to swear in that dialect on a regular basis and to converse with old folks when they need help, waka waka eh eh DOES sound like what you saw online.

Afterall, they call a short fart, "eh kia" in Hokkien...

HEHEHEHE ...

The Sleeping Dragon said...

#Kim:
really funny how translation goes...and try singing this Shakira song in Hokkien, too! heee..hee!