Monday, May 3, 2010

A Weekend Detour

The last weekend just happened to be one of those days where a detour seemed unavoidable. A detour that just had to be done, or suffer a much dire consequences sorta thing. A much needed, albeit impromptu detour in the midst of a busy, busy weekend where there were tons of errands to do and really, was the last thing I'd need to eat up into my weekend meant for other things.

Yet, if I hadn't done the detour, I could not focus on anything else. Because it happened right there and then. It happened while I was happily chomping away on bits and pieces of dried beef slices after I finished my lunch. And without a warning, I bit on something hard which unfortunately was a part of the beef slices and it broke my tooth. Believe it or not, those darn beef slices actually managed to break a part of my molar!

When it happened, I thought it was the hard thing got stuck in between my molar, but it did not feel normal as I tried to take it out. I then suspected that I might have, unwittingly cracked my tooth. I cursed myself for snacking on those beef slices after I had finished my main dish. I really should not have done that and I was convinced that if I hadn't, I sure as hell would not have landed myself in such a situation. I was really pissed off at ME.

Trying to play it cool like it's okay did not work out after that. It felt funny when you can feel a little something jutting out of one of your molars, and then it started to feel rather sensitive in less than half an hour. It was a mood killer and Silver Bullet could sense that I was in a really foul mood. I immediately called my dentist to schedule for an emergency consultation. I ended up spending a long one and half-hours in the dentist chair right after that.

Not only was my molar broken, he also discovered that I actually had a cavity underneath the broken molar which was apparently rather deep into the gum. I had to have an injection before he can work on it and it must be some tedious work as he took a darn long time before he was done with me - filling and all! In the end, it seemed like it was just a time-bomb waiting for a trigger; and it had to happen sooner or later.

He showed me the bit where it had broken off and he allowed me to keep it. He must be thinking what a nut I am to want to keep a piece of my tooth. I know, I know. I know it does look kinda disgusting, but you have to understand that I am quite attached to my half a centimeter  piece of molar that has helped me chew my food for several decades now. That's quite a piece of me that was broken off, you know!

As inconvenient as it may be, I must say, I'm only glad that Bangkok is a place where I don't need to wait at all to get an appointment to see a dentist to get my teeth fix almost immediately. And all for a cool price tag of less than 3000 baht, too! For things like this,I would absolutely hate to wait around or delay the treatment, for I do not want another root canal done on me again. Ever!

2 comments:

Vicky said...

Hey sama sama happened to me. My filling came out while eating fish yesterday! Have to go and see dentist today or tmrw. Still looking for a good one. Now got 2 big holes to fill!

Was yours just filling, root canal or crown?

Luckily not during 1st trimester :(

The Sleeping Dragon said...

from eating fish? how hard in texture is your fish meat? or was your filling just lousy? I hate it when such things happen...:(

thank god it's only just filling. but loads of filling. no need for crown just yet.although I suspect if this comes out, I'm in for a hard time. I don't even wanna think about root canal! :/