Sunday, May 16, 2010

It's the real thing

To be honest, I don't really want to cover the political situation in Bangkok. It is not my forte and it's a topic I would generally avoid in trying to keep my "slice of life" on the lighter side of things. Besides, I don't think a lot of people out there would be too interested to dwell the details of such things. For me, I have no special interest to cover them otherwise

These past few days has taken a turn though...and I do apologise in advance to those who have been following my blog that it has gone slightly "politically heavy", and not that many readers out there would be interested in what's really going on here.

The fact of the matter is that we can't escape it. These things are happening right in our own backyard, as our apartment is just literally next to the protest area. This time, it really is happening for real. What makes it scary is that we don't know which way this massacre  is going to go. While the army attempts to secure the position, the Reds keep pushing and pushing, and covering new areas at the same time. When the 2 finally comes face to face, we don't really know where they would be and it just might be right in front of us. It is a scary thought, and the thunderous noises of explosions and gun fires we have been hearing in the last few days did little to ease our jittery feeling. As I am writing this, we are literally stuck at home and not able to go anywhere. We have even read somewhere advising residents to stay away from windows. It does sound like we are paranoid, but the uncertain and dangerous situation out there is very real for us.

We came across this message from a tweeter just minutes ago and I swear I felt my hairs stood on ends:

@Tulsathit & Veen_NT. PLEASE HELP US. We are trapped in Sathorn Soi 1. The Reds have surrounded our apt bldg with tyres and are about to burn
@many many children in here..PLEASE inform police & army now! They have exploded 6 grenades outside now
@Bangkoklife: It is looking VERY VERY bad. I called police but they said they couldnt help

I felt so sick to my stomach and I could only hope that they get rescued.

As I said, it is the REAL thing now.It feels surreal, but there is no denying that the situation is far from just something you can shrug off. It is however, not my primary intention to focus on the depressing, heavy politics. Rather, to just keep friends and family updated on what is really going on in this little area of Bangkok we live in. So bear with me for a little more, while we try to get through this safely.

2 comments:

Vicky said...

Have been following your blog everyday. Keep up the good work and stay safe. :)

The Sleeping Dragon said...

Thanks vic! :)