Friday, October 2, 2009

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Something so simple like the Sweet and Sour dish can be so inconsistent the world over that usually, it ends up as a hit-and-miss dish for me. Most times, it's not exactly anything special. I'm not so crazy about this dish per se given the usual sub-standard quality we tend to get here, but I do appreciate a good one once in a while. I almost forgot how good this dish can be if done right, as a sudden craving prompted me to whip it up at home.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the results myself and I dare shamelessly say while giving myself a pat on my own back that I make an addictively mean Sweet and Sour Chicken dish! :p Excuse my si beh pai seh a bit lah huh! Here's my version:



Ingredients:

  • 4 pieces boneless and skinless chicken breast (cut into bite-size cubes)
  • 2 tspn light soya sauce
  • 1 tspn oyster sauce
  • 1 yellow and green bell pepper (cut into squares)
  • 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
  • 1 big yellow onion (chopped into big squares)
  • 3 red chillies (sliced)
  • 1 carrot sliced
  • 2-3 fresh tomatoes (sliced)
  • 1 stalk spring onion (cut into 2-inch lengths)
  • Oil for frying
The Batter:
  • 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 4 tablespoons corn starch (optional)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the sauce:
  • 6-8 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon plum sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon oyster sauce
  • 1 tspn yellow mustard
  • some water
  • a pinch of white pepper powder
  • 2 tablespoons oil

Method:
  1. Cut the chicken breast meat into bite-size cubes and marinate with the light soya sauce and oyster sauce  for 10 minutes. Mix the batter in a bowl and add the chicken cubes into the batter.
  2. Heat up cooking oil in a wok and deep fry the chicken cubes. Once done, set the chicken aside and leave about 2 tablespoons oil in the wok.
  3. Add garlic and saute the garlic until light brown, Then add in the yellow onions, followed by the carrots and bell peppers. Stir-fry until you smell the aroma and add in the sliced chillies.
  4. Add in all the ingredients for the sauce all at once and bring it to boil. Toss in the chicken, add the sliced tomatoes, chopped spring onions, do a few quick stirs, dish out and serve immediately with steamed white rice.
It's all good to go! Hope you enjoy it like I did.

2 comments:

Ayyappan said...

Aah! Non Vegetarian food again..!! Wonder when'll you post a recipe for a vegetarian foodie..!! :D :P

The Sleeping Dragon said...

Haa haa! Will keep in mind! :D