Sunday, October 11, 2009

Quality of life

There's a nice ring to the word "quality of life", don't you think? In many respect, too, life is what we make it to be. Day in, day out, we try to live life as it is and as best as we possibly can. We try to get by, and we look forward to the end of the day for whatever little quality time we have for ourselves, family or friends and make the best of it. We need to make the best of it to make us feel alive. It's about finding that mojo for ourselves, regardless where we are in the world, in whatever state of mind we are in.

If there's one principle I live by, it's the very fact that I cannot make others happy if I, myself, am not happy. Cliché as it sounds; I do believe that happiness needs to come from within. (Yep! Go on; roll those eyeballs to the back of your eye sockets! :p) I realised that in my own reality, I can't and will not do things well and right if I resent the entirety of it all and not be able to find happiness or satisfaction whatever I'm doing - first, for myself, then as a consequence to others. Obviously, I am not about to please everyone, but perhaps, if I can, I would. However, there's no way in hell I would ever want to please everyone and I know I don’t have to. Most certainly selfish…yet, we do have the right to be selfish for the sakes of our own well-being. Self happiness before selflessness.

I’d like to believe that quality of life is a state of being. At this point, my state of being to a better quality of life is to find that elusive work-life balance. A feat, nevertheless, but not entirely impossible. I realize that I may not mean everything to the world, but knowing that I do mean the world to the select few of people I know means the world to me. It makes for a nice, dreamy thought. What’s nice about it is that it makes my time in the world all worth it, knowing that if I do get to spend some time with them, it would be time worth spending.

I guess it’s just one of those littler things in life that makes me feel alive.

No comments: