Sunday, October 18, 2009

Chapatis & Keema

As I found out, making the chapati flat bread is all about the flour. I attempted making chapati a few months ago after feeling inspired , and failed miserably. Somehow, the flour just wouldn't stick together and my attempt at frying it turned out to be disastrous. It turned out like flat biscuits instead.

I have not given up on the idea of trying to make chapatis, though. The online demo I found looked so easy-peasy that I think I'd be an idiot not to be able to make it. I figured the type of wheat flour I bought and attempted with earlier was probably the wrong type. It was coarse. And nooooooo, I couldn't see what the flour looked like when I bought it because it was packed in a non-transparent brown bag and royally sealed. Somehow, buying the right type and good quality wheat flour is quite a feat in this country. I was ecstatic to finally get my hands on what seemed like the right type of wheat flour recently and re-inspire myself to try it again. With the finer type of wheat flour, all I did was just adding olive oil, water and a little bit of salt to make it into dough. It's all in the flour, I tell you.

It didn't turn out all that bad, surprisingly. I actually successfully made a bunch of chapatis and...and...and along with keema too! I'm having such cheap thrills that we can have chapatis anytime we want now.

The only bit I did not quite enjoy is rolling it out flat. It bores the hell out of me, and I dread it. Good thing Silver Bullet enjoys this task and the fact that he is hell-bent on getting it round makes it easy for me to let him do it to get its round shape and just the way he wants it. The power of "partnership"...I dough it, he rolls it flat. Works for me!

Oh my food, glorious food. I'm still basking in my cheap thrills of my chapati success! :D

1. Flattening the dough


2. Ready for the pan


3. Into the pan. I know it's done right when the bread starts puffing up


4. Ta-da! Serve with beef and vegetable keema.

6 comments:

Ayyappan said...

Hey! This is my daily diet..!! (Chapatis, I mean..!!) :D

About step 3, My mum places the chapati into the pan.. but removes the pan in couple of minutes.. and places it in the fire in directly.. then, the chapati starts puffing up real bigg!!

Silver Bullet said...

Pics aren't showing.

The Sleeping Dragon said...

#Ayyo:

Aren't you lucky! Everyday! I'm a HUGE chapati lover, although I must admit I can't eat the same things everyday. :p

Tanks for the tip!I'll give it a go next time. Although, I'm inclined to think that the chances of me burning them like a piece of paper is probably VERY high! haa haa. It's so satisfying to see it puff up big, though! :D

The Sleeping Dragon said...

# Silver Bullet:

yes it is showing! try again! :)

Ayyappan said...

Hehehe!! The good thing is that with chapati, Mum manages to come up with a different curry for each day of the week..!! :D

Hehe!! It won't burn.. try try..!!
Mum's chapatis are thinner.. which makes it more fluffier..!!
I think I can mail some pictures for you if you'd like it..!!

The Sleeping Dragon said...

Thinners' fluffier? That's a thought!

yes, yes..send 'em authentic chapatis through! :)