Monday, May 4, 2009

When the craving sets in

Cravings are bad...real bad. So bad that I occupied myself for a good 2 hours looking at pictures of Mee Rebus I found on google images. Then it dawned on me that perhaps, I should just try making it.

Mee Rebus is one of those dishes I don't eat that frequently back home. It's one of those dishes where it's nice to have just once in a while. I guess I haven't had Mee Rebus for a while now, and from what I remembered, it is hard to find a good bowl of Mee Rebus nowadays. It is only one of those dishes that's also typically non-existent in Thailand. The last one I tried was from Kopi Tiam at Changi Airport. Needless to say, it was a disappointment. So, instead of whinging about it, I decided to try my hand at it over the weekend. I was really not too confident that I could pull it off...it seems like a hard dish to make.
Good thing that I had Silver Bullet and Mars as my guinea pigs.The only problem was, they don't really know what a proper Mee Rebus would taste like! The moment of truth came when they told me they actually did really liked it! I'm really surprised at the results, though. All I did was picked out recipes from the internet and as usual, had to improvise for the lack of ingredients available here or simply because Silver Bullet banned the use of some ingredients (mainly shrimps, squids, anchovies - dried or fresh).

I'm told that it's worth a repeat. I can't be any happier that I did it quite ok. I had to grin when Silver Bullet asked if there are any leftovers for another round tomorrow as he wouldn't mind another plate of Mee Rebus for dinner third evening in a row! I'll take that as a compliment. I guess I'm not that bad a cook after all! :D

1 comment:

fadzlon said...

Well done, good cooking you have to try more often...Silver Bullet will get a good taste of your cooking.