Monday, May 18, 2009

Low on plastic bags

In our bid to do our part for the ailing environment, we have been bringing our own bags diligently for grocery shopping. Almost always without fail. I'll give myself a pat on the back for that. Only thing is, we are now running out of 'em plastic bags! The plastic bags given by the supermarkets are usually used for the trash bin. Right now, there are only a few left in storage, and soon, there'll be no more plastic bags left at home for the rubbish. The proper black trash-bags sold in stores are more often than not, non-biodegradable. Not that the plastic bags from the supermarkets are, but I noticed that some supermarkets have already started to provide the biodegradable ones. Those supermarket plastic bags are really just convenient for trash.

I don't know which is the lesser evil - to stop bringing your own grocery bags for a while, just enough to stock them up again for trash or buy those non-biodegradable ones and continue to bring our own bags.

Conundrum...conundrum...

1 comment:

Boo! said...

I try to take just enough bags... after all, it isn't like we take and not re-use them. I keep bread loaf bags too. not big enough for bins but enough for the stuff I need to dump when I am preparing to cook.

I try to use the binliners over and over as much as I can. Mostly, those "dirtier" rubbish and foodstuff that we need to throw, will be in just one bin.. the rest of the trash are mostly recyclable.