Friday, May 22, 2009

Disturbing

A business associate related this story to me over lunch where his good friend had received a call from the teacher of his 5 year old kid, asking the parent in question if there is violence at home. The question seemed to come out of nowhere, and as a parent, he was wondering why the teacher would ask such question as violence does not exist in his household.

The story goes that apparently, little boys being little boys, got into a scuttle in school. Some things happened and when the teacher asked the boy why he did what he did, he said that it was because, his father told him this: "When you are hurt by someone, you have to hurt the person 2x back."

My eyeballs almost popped out of their sockets. I can't believe what I'm hearing! From a 5 year old, too! It's good to know that my client who also has a 5 year old son, does not condone such things and found every wrong in that. My god! What is wrong with these people. How could a parent instill such values in their children? What would these kids grow up to be?! As if the world isn't fucked up enough as it is. The thing is, it only takes a few parents of this generation to screw up the mindsets of future younglings with one disturbing value such as that. What would become of the society if every kid thinks that way now, because the parents ADVISE so?! That, in my mind, is no way to live in a society. There would only be hurt and revenge...where does it end?

After hearing the story, it is of no surprise to me that the teacher asked such questions. I'm beginning to think if such individuals are even qualified to become parents! If such "virtues" are passed on from generations to generations, I now have a better insight as to why the Thais react so violently when antagonized. This is extremely disturbing.

No comments: