Saturday, May 16, 2009

Chicken Rice

What is really so special about chicken rice? It is just...well...rice with chicken afterall!

I'd like to give a smack on the head to anyone who thinks chicken rice is just that. I'm disagreeing on this. Violently disagree.

Let me straighten that out. Chicken rice is NOT just rice with chicken, ok! It is more than that. The rice is special and so is the chicken. The accompanying condiments also play a part in making the dish taste that much better. It definitely is NOT JUST any other odinary rice with chicken.

One of the best chicken rice I've had was actually when I was in poly. There was only one Malay chicken rice stall and it was heavenly. I remembered asking the makcik what was her secret ingredient in her rice, only to be told in whispers that it was butter. I have fond memories of that canteen and its food. Post poly days, it is also one of those dishes I would order when I don't know what else to eat. It is life simple pleasures and I can't help but made it myself. I skipped the soup that usually comes with it, though. Simply because I ran out of chicken stock and didn't have enough chicken pieces to boil it along with the soup. It turned out great, nevertheless!


No comments: