Thursday, March 5, 2009

I'm alive!

Right around the same time sometime last year, my walk back to the office from Bumrungrad Hospital after visiting a subordinate who had given birth to her 1st daughter, almost cost me my life. As I made my way out of the hospital at the ground floor, I had to cross a small soi to get over to the other side. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize I was to come into a corner where at the same time, a huge-ass pick-up truck decided to make a left turn just as I made it across the road. The moron obviously failed to check his side mirrors of possible pedestrian crossing and had cut his turn a tad too short for a truck so big.I realized there and then that I was trapped. There was no where I could move as I was stuck in a tight corner with a pillar behind me and half the truck was already turning past me. It was then I realized I could have been brutally crushed, especially if he had sped his way through. Instinct took over and I pounded on his truck real hard with all the might of my two bare hands as my legs were already caught between the truck and the pillar. I imagined he must have heard the thunderous thuds somehow, as he slowed down and eventually stopped, probably wondering where the sounds were coming from. All I could think of, was to quickly get out of that spot I was in and as far away as possible. Of course, the driver did not bother to get out of his truck or roll down his window to check. He just drove off. I continued walking back to the office with wobbling knees, a racy heartbeat, a dazed mind and pretty much shivered for the rest of the day. It did occur to me at that time though, that if anything were to happened, I should be lucky that I’m already at the hospital’s premises! Nonetheless, it was scary. It took me more than a week to recover from that incident and, one of the reasons I remembered the timing so clearly was because it was weeks before I was to get married.

Today, I was being reminded of the harrowing incident again as I walked towards the same hospital to visit yet another pregnant subordinate. Only this time, it is her 4 YO daughter who has been hospitalized for a few days due to high fever. The closeness of the timing is almost uncanny.. My heart started racing as soon as I got to the vicinity of the hospital. I shuddered as I got closer to that same spot I was stuck in. I even stopped short in my tracks and frantically tried to find another way to get to the main building. I managed to find an alternative way and avoided that bit altogether. What happened a year ago is still etched deeply in my mind. I supposed it is not my time and I am thankful to be alive.

4 comments:

nephos said...

Scary!

Anonymous said...

What a shocking story!
I am very happy that you survived this terrible incident. Makes me even more thankful to have such a beloved daughter-in-law.

Anonymous said...

Any other road lead to that hospital .... its about a year ok that is 2nd year in row very scary n worries us

The Sleeping Dragon said...

hmm..i think "scary" is an understatement. the fact that drivers in thailand can be so inconsiderate, selfish & dangerous all at the same time doesn't help things either. And if there are alternatve routes, trust me I'll take the alternative! hee..hee ;)