Monday, March 9, 2009

Beggarism

There are no shortages of street beggars in Thailand. I passed them by every day on my way to work, on both sides of the roads and always at the same spot like the day before. I wonder if they only “work” from 9-5 since I don’t see them anymore in the evenings. Although I do feel sorry for them, I don’t usually give them any money as I don't know for sure if they get to retain their keeps. From what I heard and somewhat affirmed by some of the locals, there’s a syndicate running behind these sorrowful looking beggars. That means, these ‘beggars” get dropped off at the exactly the same spot every day and whatever money they collected at the end of the day will go to the syndicate. I don’t know how much truth there is in such things, but it makes me think twice if I were to spare them any change. I would rather give them food or if they sell small packets of mints on the streets, I would buy it from them; let them keep the change. At least they are making some effort to earn an honest living, rather than just sit around and rattling their empty containers asking you to donate. Unfortunately, most of them have become nothing but a blind spot to me.

Recently, I saw a food vendor on wheels, whom, while pushing his cart through the narrow soi had stopped right in front of this one particular beggar and gave her a box of food from his cart. The reaction from this beggar who I avoid eye contact with on a daily basis, was not what I would have expected. She actually glared at him, open and closed the box twice, and had it shoved aside as if she was being insulted. It did look like she was none too pleased. (I managed a peek and it looked like delicious fried rice freshly prepared and even covered in glad wrap!) Whatever happened to beggars can’t be choosers.

No comments: