Thursday, June 10, 2010

Mid-week "adventure"

There is always something "exciting" happening in my life one way or another. There really is no other way to describe the adventure...or in this case misadventure. Like the cats' strange affinity to the vet where we used to spend most of our weekends for either a check-up, a jab or some other emergencies, I also seem to also have the same strange affinity for either the dentist or the hospital for an emergency visit. Most of the time, an involuntary one.
Just this week alone, I have already gone to B.O.T.H the dentist and the hospital for an emergency visit on two consecutive days. The dentist visit on Tuesday was yet another impromptu visit as the filling which was done on my tooth about a month ago broke when I was having lunch. That obviously annoyed the hell out of me...but I was glad that it was nothing damaging. A fix was all I needed and they did not even charge me for it.

The visit to the hospital yesterday, meantime, got me an immediate admission to the ward. While I have had rather active bowel movements in the last 3 days at least, I did not think anything of it. At least, nothing too serious. Only when I started experiencing severe diarrhoea, stomach cramps and vomiting, did I finally walked my ass off to the hospital from the office. It appeared that I may have had some kind of food poisoning or a stomach bug. Hence, the doctor strongly advised to put me on a drip for 24 hours as my body was practically expelling every single thing I consumed. This made it my second hospital stay-over in my 5 years in Bangkok, and truth be told I hardly ever fall sick when I was in Singapore; let alone being warded overnight!

It wasn't fun to say the least. The first time they tried to find a vein on my hand hurt like hell. It hurt so much in the middle of the night that the nurse had to try to find another vein on the other hand. TWICE. All while I'm feeling extreme fatigue, nauseated and having intermittent cramps. I hate those drip machines.

Needless to say, I was put on a strict liquid diet. While I realised I don't have that much of an appetite to eat anything and everything under the sun without anticipating as as much as a projectile vomit, I don't see why a liquid diet really had to taste bad. SO BAD. They already looked bad enough, and the taste! My oh my! It was like food for refugees. I'm inclined to think that refugees' food might taste better. 

I don't know what that white stuff was supposed to be, really. It was a cross of boiled rice and some kind of oats, maybe, but  had no taste whatsoever. That yellow stuff is meant to be some kind of chicken soup and it was served to me 3x throughout my stay there. Needless to say, I can't even swallow more than 2-3 spoonfuls of those. Just looking at this picture here reminded me of the horror of taste and smell of that yucky, yellowy, piss-looking soup. Did they actually call that soup?!

The entire experience was not really pleasant, but right now, I'm glad I'm feeling slightly better and that they have allowed me to go home. At least, there's my version of sick food at home, lovingly prepared by Silver Bullet who patiently kept vigil (i,e snoring) by my side throughout the entire night at the hospital.
What a nasty, nasty bug I caught this time! 

1 comment:

Vicky said...

Oh dear! Hope you are much better now. Take care.