Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sambal Goreng (Pegantin)

Don't really know what got into me, and it wasn't craving that compelled me to try to make Sambal Goreng to be honest. It is usually served up in Malay weddings or some festive occasions and while I do like it, this is one dish where I haven't given much thought to even try making it.

Flipping through my recipe book trying ot decide what to cook for the evening, I thought that Sambal Goreng seems like an easy enough dish for an attempt. I guess one of the reasons I haven't thought much about making it is because of the type of meat being used. Some of which I have no idea where to find here in Bangkok.

Here's my version of Sambal Goreng with a little improvisation.

Ingredients A:
  • 100g cow's heart - I omit this because I don't like inerts!
  • 100g paru (cow's lungs) - Paru is the ONLY type of inerts I really like, but had to exclude it because I simply don't know where to get here
  • 200g lean beef
  • 200g tiger prawns
  • Tofu - sliced (optional)
Ingredient B (paste):
  • 10 dried red chillies (cut into pieces and soak in hot water for 10 minutes)
  • 1 big red onion
  • 10 shallots
  • 5 garlic
  • 2 lemongrass
  • 1 cm galangal
[blend all of the above and set aside]
  • 3 tspn sugar
  • 50 ml coconut milk
  • some oil

Method:
  1. Boil all ingredients in A (except Tofu)
  2. Heat up some oil in a pot. When hot, add in the blended ingredients of B. Fry till fragrant then add sugar and coconut milk.
  3. Lastly, add in the meal ingredients in A. Stir well over a small fire till it dries up just a little.
I have only initially used beef and added in some tiny slices of taters and Silver Bullet thinks it is worth a repeat. I made another portion just for me with prawns in it, which is, in my opinion, much more yummy! Wonder where I can get some paru here. I honestly cannot believe that it is so simple to make!

No comments: