Sunday, June 20, 2010

M'sian Cuisine

5 years we fantasized about authentic Malay food in Bangkok. FIVE.FREAKING.YEARS.

We only have Vicvanvinkle to thank, for it was she who dropped me a line complete with name and address of the place, telling me about the existence of this place. And all because she happened to see it being mentioned on one of the programs on Singapore TV. How bizarre is that! Bless you, Vic!

Anyhow, given my recent craving for some authentic Roti Prata recently, we decided to do a Sunday lunch at this halal and authentic Malaysian Restaurant. I reckon, it probably is the only ONE here.

It's a small, cosy and a humble eatery. Not many people were there when we came in, but I was ready for some serious Malay-style food. The menu has loads of variety of food which I am very familiar with. So familiar that I could almost taste the individual dishes as I read the dishes on menu one by one. We ended up ordering 5 dishes: Nasi Lemak Special, Roti Canai Telur, Nasi Goreng Ayam, Chicken/Beef Satay as well as  Beef Rendang.

While it wasn't the best M'sian cuisine I have ever had, given I'm such a food snob when it comes to street-food, I must admit that the food experience was not all that disappointing either. Although the food is not something I would rave about, I 'll definitely come back should the cravings strike again. After all, there were plenty more dishes we have yet to try; and we definitely have to make several more visits to sample everything!

The teh tarik, though,  is one I'd die for. I just love that hot, raw, authentic and potent taste of a very good teh tarek capable of taking me back to the good ole days of teh tarek moments from a while back.

Just having that with a Roti Canai (or Prata) and I'm a very saisfied, happy camper for the day.

2 comments:

Vicky said...

U guys r most welcome! :D

Pity the food is not that great but at least satisfactory.

So many food progs on mediacorp now that just viewing them is making me fat!

I thot that roti prata is a very common street food and can be found on pushcarts everywhere?

Have you heard about Roti-Mataba place near the river? Reviews are in the both extreme ends...

The Sleeping Dragon said...

Yeah..the roti is quite common with the push-carts, but usually they sell it as dessert. Meaning with condensed milk, sugar, add chocolate syrup and also banana if you want.They are also usually quite thin and not as fluffy as a prata would be. And no curry!

Haven't heard abt that..but will google! Tanks Vic! Should I expect it to be ike Zam Zam though? bwhahahahaha