Monday, January 25, 2010

Queue-cutter

Being born and raised in a rather well-behaved, squeaky clean Singapore while being bombarded by government’s social graciousness campaign almost all my life while living there, it is of no wonder that certain "pink ic" traits come into play every once in a while. I don’t mean the infamous kiasuism here.

For years I have exercised my patience and  since I moved to Thailand, I don't usually lose my temper as easily as compared to when I am back home. So, this time, it is actually me losing my patience and me getting annoyed at people who generally does not respect Singapore’s national past-time i.e queing, getting in line, waiting for your turn. While I generally avoid queue like a plaque and would rather die than join in a queue that lasts for hours on end, I will not cut queue or tolerate those who does.

It was drizzling when I was waiting for a cab by the roadside just outside my office. I have been the only one there and have been waiting for a while. When a cab finally passed by, 2 idiots had managed to snatch 2 cabs away from me separately, the ones which I was hailing, and the snatching was within seconds from each other. I was obviously fuming and was determined to make the third cab stop for ME. Lo and behold! There was another snatcher that jumped out right in front of me. Just as quickly, I yelled a big “Oiiiiiiii! F*%k off! …Bitch!C.B” , my face contorting in all sorts of way, smokes coming out of my ears, fireballs rolling out of my mouth.

The lady did stop short, turned around and looked at me, blushing. Only then I realized that she looked kinda familiar but could not really put my finger to it. She apparently recognised me because she mentioned my name as she apologized, and offered me the cab. My guess is she probably works in the same office as I do, but just a different unit/floor. Oops! The perils of working in such a big office with 200 staff. Not to mention snatching my goddamn cab which was rightfully mine! Hmmph!

Did I accept her offer to give up the cab for me? Well, if I’m really sure I didn’t know her, I’d also give her the middle finger when claiming what’s rightfully mine. However, given the fact that she does look familiar and that she knew my name, I decided to be gracious and let her have it instead. Reluctantly. Perhaps that would make her think twice the next time she snatches someone else’s cab, especially if the other person waiting has been there F.I.R.S.T. People can really be so selfish!

My patience has been really thin of late, and I can get really antsy and agitated if things get a little out of line or if I feel as if I have been taken for a fool. But make no mistakes --- I make no apologies for my use of colourful languages to those who doesn’t know or respect the holy grail of THE QUEUE!

1 comment:

Vicky said...

Oops ...