Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Mom's dish of love!

It is always a pleasure to be back in Singapore even if it’s only for a few days. It always is nice to spend some time with my family and have a little catch-up time with some friends along the way in whatever little time I have in this once a year Hari Raya (aka Idulfitri) ritual of cleaning, baking, cooking and gathering with family and friends for feasting. That, my friends, also means coming home to be an absolute glutton as we get fed and fattened-up with a lot of home-cooked yummilicious food, along with all sorts of sinful goodies specifically prepared for the festivities of Hari Raya. Indeed, it ain’t every day that we get to eat what my mom has labouriously cooked as we onerously have to stuff ourselves silly with them…

I know I’m home when I can smell that familiar aroma of mom's cooking the moment I open my eyes. During this time, the whole house is filled with nothing but the fragrance of my mom’s cooking and baking for several days. Nothing like mom’s food prepared out of love! Sizzling hot from these magic woks bearing her key signature dishes where everyone raves about...

Ayam Masak Merah


Beef Rendang


Sambal Prawn with Quail Eggs


Of course, the above is just not complete without my mom's home-made briyani, vegetable dhalcha, sayur lodeh and the pineapple patchri. All of which I had forgotten to take a photo of since I got busy entertaining guests and stuffing my face at the same time.

Nothing like authentic food from home. Mom's cooking is always the best!

4 comments:

Boo! said...

Nothing beats mom's cooking alright.

Seeing your photos make me miss my friend's mum's ayam masak merah! Hope you had a good trip back home, though only for a few days.

The Sleeping Dragon said...

Yeah...too short, but I did have a good trip! Thanks, Boo!:)

It's hard to get proper and good tasting ayam masak merah at hawker centres. And I hope you'll manage to get one if you ever have a craving!

Vicky said...

:p" can i go visit your mom again? ;) ;p"

The Sleeping Dragon said...

Vic - you know where to knock! :p Although the "warung" is opened only on certain period of the year..hehee