Wednesday, August 12, 2009

How are they wired?

Every visit to the dentist is a perpetual nightmare for me. I would rather pierce my belly 10x more than having to lie down on a dentist’s chair with those obtrusive and annoying sounding instruments in my mouth. I just hate, hate, hate going to the dentist. Unless I absolutely have to and that’s usually when my state is quite dire. There is really nothing pleasant about having to go to the dentist…each time, it’s about getting something in there fixed. I hate the experience, the feeling and just even having to think of it.

Yet, each time I succumbed myself to the dentist's chair, I never cease to wonder why people ever want to become a dentist. It is of course, a noble profession. My guess is the money is really good. But still, why would any sane person want to make it their life-long career? What motivates them when they decide to pursue this profession? Did they then realize the amount of scrutiny they have to go through each time they say “open wide” to their patients? Do they actually enjoy looking into people’s mouth looking for cavity-filled molars, build up tartar and plagues, bleeding gums, root canal and finding more holes to fill? Doesn’t the sight of left-over food bits in every nook and cranny of each tooth disgust them? What about the sight of coffee and cigarette stained teeth and a garlic and onion-scented mouth? Are they not repel by that? That’s what I don’t get. It must be some kind of a fetish this; with having to scrutinize people’s mouth and get paid good money for it.

Each time after an appointment, I’m itching to ask my dentist(s) those questions. But, so far I have managed to restrain myself. It seems like quite a personal question to ask considering I am not exactly on a first name basis with them, isn’t it?

Still, as much as I hate the dentist’s chair experience, I’m glad there are people out there who are willing to do this “dirty’ job. Maybe, one of these days, I would just blurt the questions out-right to them.

That doesn’t mean to say that I’m looking forward to my next visit to the dentist, though.

3 comments:

Silver Bullet said...

They're sadistic human beings who found a way to perform their heinous acts of pain on other people and not only get to enjoy it, but paid for it!

Kim said...

I don't think my dentist likes me very much. I tend to bite down on his hand when he spends a little too much time poking around my open mouth. Its not deliberate! I'm just tired! =D

The Sleeping Dragon said...

haa haa haa! champion you! ur like my cats. :p