Sunday, August 16, 2009

Dreading Monday

I don't know where the days have gone these days. It's depressing to think that Sunday will be over in less than 2 hours from now. All I remember of last week was attending bad meetings and being cooped up in the office till the wee hours in the morning. My weekend has been ruined with me spending my time behind my laptop working on an urgent presentation to a client who wouldn't take "no, I'm not sacrificing my weekend just because you feel you own my ass no" for an answer. They eventually agreed to postpone the meeting, but only 2 hours later and STILL on the same day. On the brighter side of things, 2 hours is probably better than nothing.

I do think these people think we have no life outside work, just because they don't themselves, and that we pull out analysis and strategy right out of our asses.

The worse thing is, these things happens over and over again. Relentlessly. No amount of complains can change the way some inefficient and ineffective organizations work. What amazes me is that these are the types who'd demand change, want new thinking to the work and process, yet they are not willing to make that step-change when actually being nudged, citing "confusion" and keep it "similar to last year". They are good in telling you what they don't want in a round about way, and still manage to beat about the bush on what they want. These are the worst kind of clients who will just nit-pick on everything, keep changing their minds, asking for new stuff to be added, and yet the onus is on us to deliver on time. Or else! Sometimes, I wonder how these people manage to still keep their jobs.

While it is all painful, peoople like us learn to bite the bullet. There is no other way around it because for some reason, human life is cheap. One probably needs permission and approval to die - but that is only after all the necessary work have been done for Mister Oh-so-mighty-Clients. There is something fundamentally wrong in human ethics.

The world isn't really so bad...it's just the heartless homosapiens living in it make it all a living nightmare. Dealing with people is the hardest part of my job. And people wonder why I'd rather hang out with a bunch of monkeys, cats and birds in the zoo.

6 comments:

Silver Bullet said...

Never thought I'd say this, but I do hope that your husband is on par with the monkeys, birds and cats in the zoo, and not with the homo sapiens in general :p.

The Sleeping Dragon said...

haiyah....what on par! higher a bit, can. :D

Kim said...

These folks probably kept their job BECAUSE they were on your back.

From the client's POV, I get rapped by my bosses for being "too nice" to my agencies. Simply because I allowed them time to go back to the drawing board when we need an amendment or an update in concept, layout etc. Great ideas don't drop out of the sky. It needs a little time to incubate and develop. Not to mention the nitty gritty work that goes behind each assignment.

At the end of the day, the comment I would get at a performance review for this "lapse" is my "inability to manage my vendors".

Sigh - Just a comment from the other side of the fence.

As your friend, I can only say that these jokers have ZERO EQ. Absolutely no empathy for another salaried worker.

The Sleeping Dragon said...

You have a point there on "the other side of the fence". Effectively managing vendors however, doesn't need to have "must be nasty, evil and rude" as a KPI. There are other civilise way to be doing things.

There is a need to separate personal and professional outlook on things. A personaly perspective/feeling should not be a part of your daily professional life. Which are exactly what these people are doing.

Vicky said...

All these bad karma after your promotion? Time to shift your table! Haha Important to have little time-outs to maintain your sanity. Relak lah

The Sleeping Dragon said...

#VIcky
It's not even a promotion actually! It was just a change of team - a "request" for me to fix things.The economic crisis does mean take on more crap without increase in salary! :/