Friday, June 12, 2009

Epiphany

Mornings are just plain awful. It takes a whole lot of energy for me to actually get out of bed. And that’s usually after pressing the snooze button several times. Most mornings are as unmemorable as after my last pee break. Being on auto-pilot ensures that too, as I don’t wake-up till after I get to the office. Mornings accentuate my grumpiness, zombified my existence and, it’s certainly not a good time to ask me questions or make small talks. Not even asking for directions. My brains are still asleep even though my body is physically moving. I’m not particularly a morning person and that means getting to the office by 9.30 am everyday is a feat for me. I would only attempt to be in the office earlier if I’m really busy (ended up working late anyways) or if there’s a meeting I need to be in; which fortunately, is not that often.

In the last few days, however, I managed to drag myself out of bed and actually be in the office before 8 am. The fact that Silver Bullet drops me off at the BTS station on his way to NonthaNowhere helps. Short ride, but at least my lazy butt gets a morning ride! 3 days in a row, too and it’s not because of piling work load!

The thing is, it’s really nice to be in the office where few people are around and the silence is just beautiful. For some reason, I’m also more productive with full battery of concentration. Then I had an epiphany. After the 3 consecutive early days, I actually feel happier and liberated. Although, I have to admit that I did somehow feel guilty for leaving early as the staff are still working. But then again, they sauntered in the office after 10 am even! Worse, most are just chatting on MSN and playing games on Facebook! So screw the guilt. I’ll leave as and when I want if I’m done with work. That’s what matters and if that makes me happy, it’s worth it.

It’s really nice to be able to leave at an earlier time and be home before the sun goes down. The feeling is great and I guess, no harm reminding myself that I do have other life besides work! I should really maintain this habit of getting to the office by 8 a.m.

2 comments:

Ayyappan said...

I too, am not a morning person.. but once when the Job required me to work 9-6 ... I loved the shift..! The morning cool.. and coming back home before sunset.. I actually enjoyed not working till late night..!

The Sleeping Dragon said...

whoever enjoys working late into the night is an idiot...:p I used to be that idiot actually and my industry is notorious for working late! Now, I'm refusing to do the "2nd shift" unless absolutely necessary! :)