Monday, January 5, 2009

Goodbye Santika

Unfortunately, the theme of the party seemed apt, as the last day of operation ended up in a deadly blaze, killing more than 50 revellers and still rising. It is also almost a prophetic ending as apparently, the name of the opening band of the night was "Burn". Talk about coincidence. Times of London had reported the news quite well.

But seriously, who in the right mind would consider a pyrotechnic display IN the club itself? That is just plain stupid. What's more disconcerting was that the revellers were given firecrakers to be lighted up IN the club. What's wrong with these people? It's just a disaster waiting to happen.

The staff of Santika managed to escape as they seemed to be the only ones who knew of the other exits. This perturbed me greatly and in my opinion, a classic example of the selfish mentality of the Thais - only out for themselves. If the staff knew about this all along, why oh why couldn't they direct or perhaps, inform the other people who were not aware of this fact? I can imagine the mayhem and perhaps, I just don't know any better. However, I would imagine that in such a disaster where everyone was in it, one would have the decency to help each other along (including mentioning the existence of other exits!), rather than pushing people out of their way just to save their own asses! Excuse my French, but it is all fucking bullshit! The selfish mentality is unacceptable!

Having used to live in Ekkamai for more than a year, I'm really glad I'm no longer residing there. It is not a pleasant street to live in, especially now that Santika has become some sort of a shrine, attracting more visitors to pray for the dead - contributing to an even more deadlocked traffic than already necessary. Despite only a short 10-mins walk from my Ekkamai apartment to Santika then, I never have the desire to patronize the place. I have never been to Santika and looks like, I really didn't miss all that much.

Given the terrible traffic along Ekkamai, I wonder how long did it take for the fire brigades to get to the scene. I'm hoping no one I know were there that night. May the victims all rest in peace.

Here's one of the better videos from youtube:

No comments: