Monday, January 3, 2011

Lunch and Babies

With the arrival of Spud and hardly having the time to cook anymore these days, I was rather bummed at the thought of not being able to do a cookout with some of our close friends for New Year’s Eve like we always do in the last few years.

While having the time to cook was one of the key issues, the other challenge was to actually find people to invite! I know that sound kind of pathetic, but, really, since a few (and I mean pathetically very few!)of our close friends have left the country in search of greener pastures, our circle of friends has sort of dwindled south since. Well, not that we have many to begin with, but, regardless of that, unlike the previous years, we have no one from abroad visiting us this time for me to find an excuse to have my big great cookout for close friends who are willing victims to devour some home-made dishes before we hit the town for a countdown party.

It has been a while since I go on my cooking frenzy and boy! do I miss cooking! So it was decided literally just a few days before New Year that come rain or shine, hell! I .am.going.to.cook.

I ended up cooking up a storm: A Roast Turkey dinner on New Year’s Eve for both Silver Bullet and me; and like last year, I also decided to serve up the festivities dishes and invited a few moms’ friends whom I knew from my pre-natal pilates class over to our place for a casual, chill-out lunch session on New Year’s Day.

With Moms, Dads and Babies (coincidentally, all are baby girl!) making merry in our apartment, I have forgotten to take any pictures of my cooking on that day. Okay - forget about the pictures of my dishes for a second. Having been immersed in all the excitement in finally having people over, bird-brained me had even forgotten to take any pictures of our guests and the babies! Oops!

Who would have thought that I’d host a lunch session with babies as part of the deal, right? The thought scared the crap out of me and until the 1.1.11, I’d never believe that I will ever do such things. I mean, 4 babies in my own home – tell that to me a year ago and I’ll be saying that you are a frickin’ nutso!

Funny thing is, I obviously just did! We had such a great time hosting it, too --- wailing, cranky, needy babies and all (mostly my baby!). At the same time, it felt awesome to be able to casually catch up with other Moms/Dads whom I think are cool people where we get to trade stories, baby wisdom and things non-baby related (i.e Food! amongst other things)

I am glad at least from the looks of it, they enjoyed my cooking too! We had such a fabulous time that I reckon such lunches may just be here to stay.

Here's how my turkey  turned out this year...
 
 
and here is what was left 2 days later ...
 
(From left to right: Beef Rendang, Sayur Lodeh, Sambal Prawn and Chicken in Red Sauce)
 
And of course, not forgetting Silver Bullet's omnipresent Oliebollen
 
 
Great food, great company makes for a great New Year's Day, indeed.

4 comments:

Vicky said...

That's a turkey???

The Sleeping Dragon said...

haa..haa! You sounded shocked -- what's wrong with it? Yes, that's was a turkey...maybe should have taken the picture from a different angle; I realised the gapign butt did not make it look good. (tasted good and moist though!)

Vicky said...

I thought turkeys are huge ...

The Sleeping Dragon said...

Bought the smallest one we could find! Otherwise, can't fit it into my tiny little oven. And I still thought it was quite big! Wonder if "young turkey" label has anything to do with the size...