Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Parenting "Chinese-style"

This article on "Why Chinese Mothers are Superior" left me dumbfounded.

Now, I am all for tough love parenting style, but I am not sure if I could ever subscribe to such a high-handed manner such as that. It is a little bit too extreme in my opinion, leaving a bad taste in my mouth. To term it "superior" is a little too over-rated as well (and by whose standards?) This is definitely a classic case of an over-achiever in the making.

I think it really is OKAY if my child does not play at the Carnegie Hall at any point in her life, unless of course, she desperately wants to herself. (Of which, she'd have to work hard for it). I don't ask for much, just an honest, happy, healthy child will do.

Either that, The Wall Street Journal is just trying to stir up some controversy to get more hits on their website.

No comments: