Monday, January 17, 2011

Baby swimming

Spud started her very first swimming lesson last Saturday at the Bangkok Dolphin's Infant Centre.

My first thought of putting her to a swimming class was what kind of diapers would she need? I mean, what if she pees or worse, poops in the pool?! Especially when her current diaper ain't that all waterproof! A question I asked Silver Bullet of which he did not have an answer to at that time.

I guess the Baby Swimming Centre must have had dozens of questions like that before. It was of no surprise that when I asked them about it, I was told that I could easily get swimming diapers from them. Besides, (apparently!) babies don't normally do a pooper while they are in the water. (I did not quite buy that as Spud has done a few poopers in her baby bathtub as she was being bathed at the same time).

It turned out that the swimming centre would only allow Huggies Little Swimmers diapers in their pool (this was plastered boldly on the signboard) and interestingly, we were told that we could re-use those diapers up to 2-3x! (I didn't know that)

Given my not-so-high level of confidence when in the water, it was decided that Silver Bullet would have to pick up my slack on this one . He obviously did not mind it all. In fact, he thoroughly enjoyed the session with Spud. Spud on the other hand, seemed a little unsure if she actually liked it or not. But if she had not liked it, then she definitely did not show for it.

What struck me most was how energetic the Infant's Swimming Instructor was. He was a bountiful of energy --- he was singing, he was bouncing, he was talking, he was splashing and he was engaging with both babies and parents as well, throughout the entire time. And get this: he was doing back-to-back classes, easily for a 2 full solid hour. I reckon, he must have at least a few more classes to go after our class ended. It was like he was on a constant sugar high. Either that, or he's got himself a lifetime supply of a supercharged, rechargeable Duracell batteries injected into him.

My juices could never have lasted that long.

I'm looking forward to the next class as I'm excited to see how Spud progresses. For now, I'm happy to watch Spud learn how to swim with her Papa from the sidelines.

I think I'll need a little bit more confidence to get into that pool with a baby in my hands, as I don't want to pass on my nervousness to Spud. I don't think I'll do her a whole lot of favour if I were to do that. In this case, she really is better off with her dad.



1 comment:

Mum Josephine said...

She will become a great swimmer!
Loved to see the pictures.