Sunday, February 14, 2010

Sunday snackings

One of the best things about Sunday is, apart from being able to be a couch potato all day long, it's also a day for snacking, which has somewhat become our usual Sunday routine if there are no pressing errands to run.

It just so happened that I was in the mood for some deng-dengs this afternoon, and I can't help but pan-grill some of those wonderful, greasy, mystery meat-parts made from beef which we have stocked up in our fridge . This mystery looking meat-parts made of beef apparently are only sold in Singapore during the festive period of Ramadhan and I'm glad we had the foresight to tar pao the raw slab of meat back to Bangkok from our last Hari Raya's loot from home.

These babies taste so good you just cannot stop gorging yourself silly, I tell you! I guess it is a good thing that they only sell these during the festive season! I'm sure it's an instant heart attack waiting to happen if you are to consume these everyday!

These deng-dengs are also actually the halal version of the Chinese bak kua which is made out of pork. Just as I was savouring these delicious, sinful and all greasy slabs of meat, I realised that the bak kuas are also often usually served and eaten during the Chinese Festivities and it happens to be the first day of Chinese New Year today. How apt, eh!

And by that token, here's also wishing a Gong Xi Fa Cai to all my Chinese friends out there!

2 comments:

Vicky said...

Ya, the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the 1st pix was ... bak kwa! ;)

The Sleeping Dragon said...

it is! hee..hee. I wonder if u can actually taste the difference with the real porky ones.