Friday, November 13, 2009

The Walking Directory

I have been stopped-short on my tracks not once, but 4x by people on the street asking for directions in a span of 10 minutes while walking from home to my office. The most stops I have had experienced so far as a walking directory who have yet to wake up and still feeling grumpy in the morning.

Not that I ever minded giving directions, but 4 times in a row is quite a bit in such a short time span given my morning temperament. What makes it more daunting is the fact that these passer-bys tend to ask me for directions in Thai; obviously, a blame I cannot put on them, as they don’t know any better. The truth is, I’ll be happy with helping with directions at any time of the day, but as soon as I replied with a “Pardon? Or I’m sorry, can you speak slowly” the moment they rattled on like a bullet train, they would give me “a look”. A priceless super shocked sheepish look , followed with a girly cover-the-mouth-giggle accompanied by wide-eyed popping corneas and a super long echo-ey “oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh” , suggesting they have no clue that I am not Thai. Each time that happens, I would feel like an alien for a minute. I swear I could almost feel how shockingly sorry they were for picking the wrong person!

Honestly, I think I’m able to figure out what they say and I’m pretty sure I can direct them where or how to go with my pidgin Thai. If only they would speak slowly for me, instead of just giving me a funny look, an overtly shocked oh reply and then just walk away...

Funnily though, one older lady out of the four actually repeated her question in English and when I told her where to go, she replied with a “You are welcome” to me. I had to smile at that, thinking it came out wrong as it should have been me saying that. Then again, I realised that unconsciously, “thanks” actually came out from my mouth right after she said "you are welcome". *smacks head*

Me and mornings are the bestest of friends.

No comments: