Friday, July 24, 2009

Food Issues

So many restaurants and nothing to eat! How sad is that? And this is at Central World Plaza, apparently the biggest shopping mall in Bangkok. It is even reputed to be one of the largest shopping complex in Asia at one point in time. [and probably still is]

500+ stores in there, with a dedicated floor of nothing but only 100 Japanese and Chinese restaurants, 60 Korean corners, 100 Thai food places, 20 other junk food chain and a few other miscellaneous restaurants. How amazing right? Still, NOTHING to eat. Well...nothing for us to eat anyways. Or rather, nothing that we'd like to really have for dinner from all the "more of the same" style of food available there. We are pretty much Thai-food out and somehow, the type of food available there doesn't quite wet our appetite. Having spent quite a long and arduous day in a crappy meeting on a Friday evening that ran way over time, all I could think of was to stuff my face as soon as I got out of the meeting room. And all I really asked for was a really good and hearty meal over a date with my husband to celebrate the end of the working week!

Times like that, I really wish for Auntie Bird Nest's sambal stingray, chilli crab with fried mantao bun at my backyard. Top that up with beef and chicken satay from the corner Makcik's stall, with additional side order of chicken murtabaks and Mee Kuah. Garnish that with a dash of loopy, bottomless-pit friends for company and chat senselessly the entire night away over more food, teh-tariks, milo dinasaurs and teh-chinnos...

Devoid of all that, we settled for Indian food instead. Somehow, Indian food will always give us an intense satisfaction and for us, it is almost always the type of food to fall back on should everything else fails. We then parked our asses at Maharaja King, which I'm likened to believe to be the only Indian restaurant around. We ended up with 5 dishes: Chicken Masala with Omelet, Chick Pea Dhal (or something like that), Delhi Chicken Curry (I think), Indian Fried Rice, an Indian style dim sum (more like samosas), some rotis and I specifically ordered the puffed-up bread which I forgot the name. All in all...so so only. Prices are also a bit steep for the quality.

It is a torture to be devoid of authentic Singapore food...I am, after all a full-blooded Singaporean. One of the main reasons why I cook so much at home and don't rely too much on outside food. I want, I want, I want my food!

2 comments:

Ayyappan said...

I am a Vegetarian.. still I can recommend Butter Chicken..! It happens to be the most popular Indian dish..!

P.S. Ever tried Idli-Sambhar, as a snack?

The Sleeping Dragon said...

Ohh..butter chicken is always good! albeit a bit fattening...:p This time round, we decided to stray away from "the usual"..which includes vindaloo. Vindaloos are awesome.

Tried Idli a long, long time back...and I don't remember much about it. Ther's something about indian food, i tell u! :D