Friday, July 17, 2009

Pecsi

When and if ever you are in Argentina, be sure to ask for Pecsi instead of Pepsi from now on. Pepsi recently took on a localized approach by responding to the tendencies of local Argentine accent to say "Pecsi" rather than Pepsi. A very bold and daring move by Pepsi, believed to be the first name change adopted by the brand. That's definitely one way for a brand to be really accommodating. Not convinced? Read here and here. (although I'm not too sure how long these links are going to be active)

Judging from how Pepsi is usually pronounced in Thailand, I believe it might work here too! Maybe more of a "Pecsee" with a low tone of the "see" (I think!). Wonder how they would localize some of the other international brand names here in Thailand? Let's see...
1. Lolek (Rolex)
2. Kaylock (Kellogg's)
3. Lado (Rado)
4. Benk (BenQ)
5. Setarbug (Starbucks)
6. Yahkoot (Yakult)
7. Vaitame-elk (Vitamilk)
8. Googen (Google)
9. Tesco Lotun (Tesco Lotus)
10. Fomot (Foremost)
Ten brands are all I can think of at the moment and of course, knowing my sense of hearing, or the lack of it, sometimes (only sometimes ah!), I could have also heard things wrongly too. Obviously there's an element of exaggeration, because if every advertisers follow the whims of consumers' pronunciation in Thailand, it would be disastrously bizarre. But, nah beh! still funny can! Can you think of other disastrously mispronounced brand names?

2 comments:

Silver Bullet said...

Crap, I know there's a million more of those, but I'll be damned if I can think of any :p

The Sleeping Dragon said...

haa..haa! c'on! you can do it..i know it's at the tip of your tongue! :D