Monday, July 22, 2013

French Children Don't Throw Food

After being at my wits end in trying to cope with Spud’s volatile moods and trying so hard not to feel like I’m such a royal failure just because I cannot adhere, let alone keep up with the practices of “Gentle” Parenting (aka bordering on permissive style of parenting) , I decided to give myself a time-out.

I didn’t go back to the office after an early afternoon meeting one day. Instead, I spent the rest of the afternoon walking around aimlessly in a shopping mall to “think things through”.  I then decided to walk in to a book store and scour through shelves after shelves of parenting books and found myself gravitating to this one:


Under any other circumstances, I don’t think I would even bother picking up the book based on the title (I have always thought the French are a snobbish and insufferable bunch based on several personal experience in another lifetime – the title alone was enough to repel me); but at that particular moment, the title intrigued me (having a couple of close and cool French moms in my mommy-friends circle in the recent years loosened me up a little).  I was thinking: what is it that the French parents are doing that that works? I mean we are talking about kids eating up everything they are served without a fuss here! I need to KNOW these things!

The book was entertaining and easy to read. There were moments when I could just not stop chuckling as I was reading it. I like that it was not text-book style, but rather more of a down-to-earth parenting challenges and anecdotal stories based on  the author’s experiences (she is an American) in raising a family in Paris who has plunged herself into researching and analysing the French parenting style and comparing it to British/American styles.

I feel that I can relate better to the French way of parenting. While I am nowhere near being a “Tiger-Mum”, I will unashamedly admit that I subscribe to the “know your boundaries” parenting style; much like the cadre (framework) as described in the book, rather than the “gentle” parenting style.

In no uncertain terms that the content of the book will serve as a bible for my parenting style, but for me, it was a good reference to have. I did think that some bits of French parenting are a little bit on a stricter side, but nonetheless, I  truly enjoyed every aspect of the books.

This book was an amusing read. I would give her other books a go as well. 

No comments: