Thursday, July 4, 2013

Chatting with your hands

If there's one thing about hand gestures that amuse and fascinate me at the same time, it has got to be when the Italians let their hands and fingers do the talking.

Not that I know of any Italian person personally, but one of my personal favorite gestures which was indoctrinated to me by one of my old pals from my tertiary education days when she got annoyed or frustrated or just rolling her eyeballs (she was dating an Italian then, had a daughter with him several years later and married him soon after) has got to be this one here:

"What in God's name are you saying" gesture
I hung out with her a lot once upon a time, and so it was no surprise that I had unconsciously pick that up from her. Come to think of it, to this day,  I sometimes use that gesture without thinking when I'm in a What-the-fuck, What-the-hell-are-you-bloody-saying  or Are-you-stupid mode; much to Silver Bullet's amusement when he first knew me.

I recently came across an article on the lexicon of Italian gestures which I found to be informatively amusing. I now have got another two to add on to my all-time favourite Italian hand gestures:

"I don't (fucking) care" gesture
"Why in God's name did you do it" gesture

This might seem like useless information, but I find the whole hand gesturing business to be extremely fascinating - no to mention useful -  especially if you can decipher what it exactly means in not too many words.

After all, action speaks louder than words, eh.

Original articles can be found here and here.

No comments: