Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Boss vs Leader

Came across this on (where else!), FB and it struck a chord with me.


Anyone and everyone can be a boss, but not everyone can be a leader. I have had many different types of bosses in my entire 13 years of professional career, and I can only think of 2 people I used to work and/or associate with my previous organisation whom I can honour the title of a very good leader in my books.  Sad, ain't it?

For all the (horrible) "Bosses" whom I have worked with, I learnt something from them, too - I learn to consciously NOT to emulate what they do as they become a constant reminder to me of what a leader should ever not be.
 
"Iron fist, velvet glove" - One of the leaders I used to worked with shared this very mantra to me.  It is one that I still remember till today, and it is one which I exercised upon when I see the need to.

Truly, a good leader is just more than what is in that list. And a true leader does not necessarily comes with the ranks (especially not when you trample on other people to get to where you are!), a high salary or a PHD from a very reputable university.

A  good  leader listens. A good leader is inspiring, unbiased and is genuinely respected.

A good leader is a rare breed. It is even harder to be one.

No comments: