Sunday, June 26, 2011

An All-Dutch Brekkie

Happiness comes in the form of cardboard boxes filled with a variety of evil chocolate sprinkles or ribbon-ny flakes as well as fruit or aniseed flavoured sprinkles all ready to be spread on your bread.

The chocolate version comes in both pure and milk chocolate. I like the fruit flavoured stuff the most; and believe you, me, those things make your bread taste so, so awfully good! So addictive they are that I am rationing the quantity of my intake to make them last longer as we are fast running out of them. My guess is that this sinister De Ruijter spreads craving will be here to stay.

Just check out those colourful flakes on this bread. Tell me that does not look at all inviting!


I blame Silver Bullet for my addiction to these really, really evil De Ruijter stuff. Wholly. Solely. Completely. Let me say that again: It was all Silver Bullet’s fault. Wholly. Solely. Completely.

Like the poffertjes and bitterballen, this happens to be just one of those things the Dutch does really, really well. 

And this, my friends happened to be one of those weekends where our breakfast could not have been more Dutch --- simple, sweet, filling and superbly entertaining.

It's like having dessert for breakfast; and regardless of age, it is totally legit!

No comments: