Saturday, June 18, 2011

Hilarious Translations

Anything foreign needs to be adapted to Thai to cater to the Thai palate, and so it is not uncommon to find international magazines wholly translated into Thai, as well as Hollywood movies being dubbed in Thai.

While I am very much aware of the above, it never really occurred to me that Hollywood movie titles are being translated into the local language as well. Given how well I can read Thai (not!) , the notion of translated titles is obviously something I am not conscious about. Hence, whenever I see a movie poster in Thai, it went right over my head, thinking that the titles would just be the same in any other languages!

How daft am I, right?

Well, now I certainly know better after stumbling upon this article which left me laughing quite hard while I was at my desksometime last week, as my colleague watched me and wondering WTF got into me!

No comments: