Saturday, April 3, 2010

Chaos or Carnival?

Almost the entire Sukhumvit seemed to be in a gridlocked today. As I made my way to my pilates class this morning, I was greeted by a whole lot of reds just at the end of our Soi. There were plenty of noise with honks, cheering from the Reds as well as aggressive-sounding rally speeches blaring out loud, drowning out other noises. This was the scene at about 11 am this morning, almost right out of my door-step:



After my pilates class and a round of foot massage and mani-pedi about almost 4 hours later, the crowd was still there.It was still a peaceful demonstration, but noises louder than before. I thought it was kinda bizarre to see the Reds directing traffic and all. There were blockades everywhere and I saw on the Thai news channel that they were all congregating at Central World. Incidentally, I also received a news update stating that Siam Paragon, Siam Centre and Siam Discover Shopping Mall were closed at 1pm today. The vehicles on the main road outside my Soi have yet to dissipate at 4pm as I walked my way home:



One can only speculate what's going to happen next. For now, while it did seemed rather chaotic, everything looks peaceful still. Actually, it's almost like a carnival out there. I can only wonder why anyone in the right mind would want to stand around blocking roads in the sizzling hot sun. All they were doing apart from contributing more to traffic and noise pollution, were making a lot of noise, sleep, eat, chit-chat and walking around as if they were having a time of their lives while waiting around for some instructions.
I'm really doubtful if they know or aware what they are actually fighting for. The whole thing to me almost looked kinda silly and really pointless!

No comments: