Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Last Leg Phase II


August felt like such a long month, and for some reason I seem to think that we have been stuck in August for longer than usual. 

Not that I minded to be honest - I had such a fulfilling month spending some quality time with my kids and several other mommy friends whom I befriended from my pre-natal yoga class. At the same time, I also managed to juggle some me-time by going for post-natal body works, Pilates, foot massage, manicure & pedicure, as well as the occasional morning coffee or  lunch time indulgence all by myself. 

August had been nice. However, it makes me wonder  if August felt like such a long month as, secretly, I cannot wait to be back in the office ; because when September came a few days ago, I’m being reminded that I am due to go back to the corporate world soon.

Not that I minded either…

My sentiments about going to back to work remained pretty much the same as 2 years ago. While I hate the office politics, I do need that mental stimulation I can get from the corporate environment and the work that I do. Most of all, I actually miss my pay-check!

So yeah. I have mixed feelings about my maternity leave coming to an end. While I love spending time with my kids and having some me-time, deep within myself, I know it is not something I can do for an extended period of time. Besides the fact that we cannot afford for me not to work, I get restless.  And one of the reasons I am enjoying all these me-downtime is because I know it will come to an end. Like my work, nothing beats the adrenaline rush of beating the deadline. If I don’t have that deadline, I feel…

…dead.

Besides, being away from the kids actually makes me appreciate them more. On a personal level, I need this space...some sort of a "separate life" - a life that I can call my own and not being wholly consumed to being a full-time mom because I suck at it. Because of this, work-life balance shall always be a challenge.

One thing for sure though, I will certainly miss the weekly meet-ups with a bunch of awesome Mommy friends from my pre-natal yoga class who have babies around Squirt’s age. 


No comments: