Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Last Leg

My days at home of being a full-time mom are numbered as I stepped into the very last week of my maternity leave on this first week of November.

How do I feel about that?
To be really frank, I can’t quite answer that question for I don’t exactly know how I feel about that. It somehow feels like I have taken an extended “vacation” from work and like any other vacation, I eventually will have to get back into the grind. At this point, my honest answer is that going back to work is just something I have to do.
Am I looking forward to it?
Well…my answer is, yes to a certain extend as I think I can benefit from the social setting the workplace generally provides as well as the mental stimulation that comes with it. Okay, some form of mental stimulation (or not!) depending on the types of morons I encounter on a daily basis.

On the other hand, the thought of not being able to see Spud’s development first hand is not very appealing, while dreading the fact that she has to spend most of her time in the hands of a Nanny.

So, no; at this point, I don’t really have a concrete answer to those questions. I am only glad for the following when I rejoin the workforce:
  1. Spud has taken to the bottle like a champ and is still taking the breast with no problems at all
  2. We have a nanny whom we can trust (or at least, we think so)
  3. I should be able to ease in into my job smoothly
With all other things, I guess we should be able to sort them out as we go along.

These days, I try to get out of the house as often as I can without bringing Spud along with me just so that she can get used to not having her momma around all the time. And suddenly I have some time on my hands to arrange lunches, go for a deserving foot massage and even a session of much a needed mani-pedi! (yes, I have nice feet and fingers again!)

While it really is nice to be able to get some time-out for myself after an intensive full-on, 24/7-in-your-face-on-the-job-training of mommydom  for 3 months at a stretch, I actually started thinking about Spud and then realise that I miss her after only being away from her for a few hours! Funny that.

I surprise myself sometimes. I guess I have come a long way…

No comments: