Sunday, November 7, 2010

Smiles everywhere

Thailand is such a baby-crazy country that almost every Thai on the streets would coo, giggle and probably ovulating at the same time as soon as they see a baby.

These days, it is so easy to elicit a smile from people on the streets just by having Spud around with us. I swear that every turn we take, there’s almost always someone smiling at us. This is what they usually do:

Look at me (or Silver Bullet).Look at baby. Look at me (or Silver Bullet) again.
Grin.
Coo.
Giggle. (Ovulate)
Smile.
Look at Spud again. Look at me (or Silver Bullet).
Grin.
Coo.
Giggle.(Ovulate)
I’m telling you it is almost like clockwork!

What struck me as plain weird (and even annoying) is that while they remember to smile whenever they see a baby in tow, for some reason they forgot the most sensible thing --- like holding the elevator door for you while you struggle to get into it with a baby that is either in the stroller or strapped to you.

Sometimes I wonder if this happens only when you are in Thailand.

No comments: