Thursday, September 27, 2012

Discovering Gelish


A girly-girl I will never be, but every so often, I do appreciate a nicely coloured manicured and especially pedicured nails. 

The only gripe I have with having them painted is the fact that I hardly have the time to maintain them in their grandeur. I don’t have the time to get it re-done every other day, and most often than not, the colour on my nails will be ruined after a day or two post a mani-pedi session. Most times, while I will always remove the nail polish on my fingernails usually 2 days after applying a new coat, I tend to keep the colour on my toenails till they all looked rather grossed out. 

That being said, while I tend to keep my fingernails short and nail-polishless for practical reasons, I have to admit that I do have a certain degree of obsession in getting my toenails painted.

I heard about Gelish quite a while back, and after getting fed-up with all the chipping and the imminent lack-luster after applying a new coat for only a few days, I decided to give Gelish a shot.

And I love, love, love it! I love that the brand-new shine stays on even after several days of “roughing it out” with an open-toe footwear. 

Gelish is a new generation of nail polish, but with the key difference that they last for up to 3 weeks (!!!), with no smudges, chipping, or fading of the nails. I was pretty much sold because of that. (Ahem. I AM a laggard in this department and my apologies for sounding like a bimbo in the nail-polish world)

Apart from that, you cannot just use a regular nail polish remover when removing Gelish. In fact, the surface of the gel apparently needs to be buffed to rough it up, soak off the Gelish and then using a nail pusher tool to scrape it all clean. It takes about 15 minutes to remove the Gelish. 

With normal nail polish, it is usually painted with the base coat, and then the selected colour polish. Gelish is a UV nail gel that is applied in several steps, requiring a 36 watt UV or LED lamp to cure the gel.

While it is more expensive that your regular nail polish, I think the benefits do outweigh the costs, especially when I don’t have to keep repainting it every week. 

This is very unlike me, and I generally don't do reviews of girly stuff like this, but this one is certainly worth a mention in my opinion.

I’m currently obsessed with the shade of deep, dark red. At the risk of being a lousy feet model AND sounding like a resounding bimbo, I’m really loving my pretty-looking pair of feet in its high shine!


No comments: