Monday, December 20, 2010

The Wrap in Review

These days I have been rather busy experimenting with The Wrap whenever I get the chance to wear Spud. While I did say that The Wrap does look a little daunting to me at the very first sight, I must say that I had lots of fun figuring out the various ways of tying it, and then being able to wear Spud in it. I actually enjoyed trying to master the art of using The Wrap that I literally squealed in delight when I was able to tie it without referring to the instruction booklet that came with my purchase.

After researching about wraps, I specifically opted for wraps made from woven fabric. They usually have a little stretch from the weave - enough 'give' to be comfortable and flexible, but they aren't as stretchy as the stretchy wraps, and hence sturdier. I bought mine from an online site, Didymos. I discovered 2 days later by accident that had I known any better, I could have also gone to a more geographically closer site based in Singapore and not have to wait for 2 weeks for the shipment to arrive.

By now, I am proud to say that I have mastered at least 3 out of the more than 10 ways of tying The Wrap per the instructions given with my purchase. It did take some practice – not only just being able to tie it right, but finding out which tying method is most comfortable for both Spud and me as well.

I found The Wrap to be very versatile and I like the fact that I can “customise” the carrier as it suits me. Come to think of it, the baby wrap carrier is one of the few traditional baby carriers that survived generations without much alteration to its original design of just being a single piece of cloth! I have come to understand that it provides many advantages that pale many modern baby carriers in the market today.

The Wrap is so comfy that I now consider it as another favourite next to my Mei-Tai. Even Spud seems to enjoy being carried in it. She took to The Wrap in no time at all.

I. The Double Cross Carry
This carry tied without knots and the flat fabric on the back is very comfortable to wear especially for leaning back comfortably.


II. The Wrap Cross Carry
Spud is held by three bands of fabric - one running horizontally, two others running diagonally across its back and supporting it.

No comments: