Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Ain't over till it's over

When I posted “The one with pumped milk is about to retire...”, I guess I was myopic. It should have been a sabbatical instead. For a start, I didn’t think that my pumping career would make a comeback this quick!

But it has, and my Medela Freestyle® Breastpump has been dusted, cleaned, sterilized, assembled and has now been put up to speed for its efficient pumping job.  

My pumping memories were bittersweet – as much as I hated the hassle of pumping and cleaning it - and I still do - I can’t help but feel overwhelmingly satisfied whenever I see the volume of milk I yield after each pumping session. The very fact that my child is thriving on nothing but my breast milk and that is all he ever needs in his first 6 months is again, truly amazing. 

My super power is back after a 2-year sabbatical. The milk machine is running at full speed, and now that we have introduced the bottle to Spud, it feels a little liberating that other people will be able to feed him as well.

Pumping is indeed something which requires a very high discipline and commitment. In my head, I am still struggling to figure out how I would be able to cope with pumping full-time and tending to two kids when I am back at work.

With my unnatural personal biasness against formula, I know there is no other way out except to pump when Squirt does not get any access to the boobs. In doing so, I certainly am hoping to be able to provide Squirt with breast milk for about the same length of time, as did his sister. 

Wish me luck!

No comments: