Monday, August 6, 2012

A different blend of grey

Earl Grey is usually, really not my cup of tea. I remember that each time I drink some earl grey, I felt nauseas. I don’t know why that was, and I don’t even have to finish the entire cup to get that feeling and I’d feel sick only after a few sips. Even though I may not know the type of tea that was served to me, if I felt nauseas after a few sips and if I check what was given to me, it was almost certain that it would have been the damn earl grey.

For the longest time since a long, long time ago, I avoided them like a plague. And I was sure that me and earl grey were never going to be friends. Ever.

Until one day. 

Unbeknownst to me, I was served a cup of tea after a lunch reception at a workshop session in some fancy-pansy hotel in Bangkok. I remember liking the taste. It was light, it was aromatic and a little citrusy but I can’t quite put my finger to it. I thought it was one of the best teas I have ever tasted - even better than the Sencha Silver Flower tea I like. I was game for several refills.  Curious, I asked the waiter what kind of exotic tea they were serving.

“Earl Grey,”  came the reply.

I almost fell off my chair.  I refused to believe the waiter, telling him over and over again, “cannot be! I know Earl Grey! It’s hideous” (or I thought I KNOW Earl Grey)

Smiling and giggling away, he offered to double check again. He came back bearing me an Earl Grey tea bag he took from the kitchen, still grinning from ear to ear. It was Twinning. It was the only thing they serve there.

Just to be sure, I took a bag from the box and sniffed it – just so that I knew that they were serving the same thing they claimed they did. 

I’ll be damned - I thought I hated earl grey!  I had to concede defeat, and as much as I hate to say this, I am now a convert to earl grey – at this stage, trusting only Twinning’s. I even bought a box of Twinning after that. And looking at the ingredients, I am sure that the blend with citrus bergamot flavor has a lot to do with my taste buds accepting it. 

I guess it just is a different blend of grey – and a classic case of never say never.

No comments: