Sunday, May 20, 2012

Kuih Bakar Pandan

A sudden bout of having an another "itchy-backside" moment  had me scouring the kitchen for ingredients to make a traditional delicacy called "Kuih Bakar" - or literally  translated to English as "Burnt Cake". [Although in a Malay context, the word "bakar" can also loosely mean "to bake"]

In any case, this is something I have never attempted before; and somehow felt the strong need to try making it as the recipe looked so easy. There are actually 2 versions of this traditional goodies  - one is sweet, the other is savoury made with meat. I made both at the same time as they use the same base.

I am featuring the sweet one in this post first. Typically a decent Kuih Bakar Pandan would look like this:

Image from Google Images

But mine turned out all wrinkled-up like this:

When I introduced it to Spud, she promptly exclaimed  "Turtle!", and refused to eat it.

It didn't look at all appetizing, I admit, but what lacks in looks, I made up for it with taste (I think!). I haven't figured out why it went all wrinkly on me. I'll have another go at it when I feel like I am up to it again.

Taste-wise, it is a little like cooked custard, flavoured with coconut with the fragrance of pandan. Here's the recipe I attempted:

Ingredients:
  • Half cup pandan juice (1/2 cup water + several pieces of pandan leaves mainly for colouring)
  • Half cup sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 250 ml coconut milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tbsp melted butter
  • A few drops of green colouring
  • 1 tbsp pandan paste/essence (I did not use this as I cannot find it!)

Method:
  1. To make pandan juice,  blend the leaves with water and set aside
  2. Mix the rest of the ingredients together and beat it into a batter. Add in pandan juice
  3. When done, pour the liquid batter into a mould
  4. Bake for about 25-30 minutes on 200 degrees oven or until golden brown
It is that easy! Although next time, I might attempt it with a mixture of evaporated milk.

I'll post the  savoury version in a separate post.

No comments: