Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Kuih Bakar Berlauk

Funnily enough, I only discovered that I liked this other savoury version of Kuih Bakar a few years ago at my brother's wedding. (Sorry - I don't really know how to translate the word "berlauk" in English) For a long, long time, I decided that I was not going to like it (don't ask me why as I don't really have a valid reason for it), and so never did have the slightest inclination to even taste-test it.

Ironically, the only reason I got curious was when Silver Bullet tried it and then raved about it! And then, he got me hooked.

This one requires a little bit more work from the sweet Kuih Bakar, but worth the effort nonetheless. Here's the recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 500g minced beef
  • 1 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 tspn cumin
  • 1 tbsp coriander powder
  • 1 small clove garlic, pressed
  • 2 thin slices ginger, pounded
  • 1 tspn white pepper powder
  • 300g all purpose flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 350 ml water
  • 200 ml coconut milk
  • yellow colouring
  • oil for frying

For toppings:
  • parsely
  • scallion
  • sliced red chilli

Method:
  1. Fry cumin, curry power and coriander without oil till golden brown and set aside
  2. Heat up some oil and add in ginger, pressed garlic. fry till a little browned.
  3. Add beef and white pepper. Then add back  the mixture of cumin, curry powder, and coriander. Mix them up well till cooked
  4. When done, set aside.
  5. In separate bowl, mix flour, water, eggs, coconut milk and yellow colouring. Strain several times till the batter is smooth and creamy
  6. Add in the spiced meat which was fried earlier into the batter. Mix well
  7. Pour the mixture into a mould.
  8. One by one, add the sliced red chilli, scallion, parsely on each of the batter
  9. Bake in a 200 degree celcius over for 25-30 minutes or till evenly cooked

Enjoy your hard-earned labour!

Mine turned out pretty well taste-wise, despite a somewhat a visually retarded look, without the parsely.




No comments: