Saturday, October 8, 2011

Poop Coffee

I have, in my years as a manic coffee drinker, been intrigued by Kopi Luwak – a type of “exotic” coffee, purported to be the rarest and most expensive coffee in the world.

For a long time, too, I wondered how scrumptious can the taste of the most expensive coffee in the world be like. I mean, it boggles the mind too as to how a beverage made out of (civets’) poo can be so prized and still taste so good as some have claimed?

I mean…poo. The darn coffee is made out of poo. A certain cat, has actually ingested coffee berries, past them through their digestive tract, and then defecate it all out. And somehow, we humans, make it fit for human consumption, and even made money out of it. Brilliant!
I heard so much about it, so when the opportunity presented itself when we were in Indonesia a couple of years ago, and despite being 5 months pregnant, I decided that a small, tiny cup will not do me or the baby any harm.

To me, it was a matter of finding out for myself, and come hell or high-water, budget-permitting, I just have to try it

I remember it being insanely expensive, costing almost 20 USD for a serving (1 purculator). For a while, I did hesitate if I actually want to spend such money on just a cup of coffee. But I was curious, and curiosity got the better of me, and so after some contemplating, both Silver Bullet and I decided to share.

That was my very first cup of coffee in months since I got pregnant. and it was also my very first cup of Kopi Luwak.... a very monumental moment indeed.


I expected to float, or cry out in ecstasy or just melted to the floor because it was so good that I would be consumed by it. I imagined it to be just like when I pop the best tasting, creamy chocolate fudge into my mouth.

Bleahhh.

None of that.

While I remembered thinking that it was quite a good coffee, I honestly did not think that it was worth the hefty price tag. I thought I have had better, and at a more reasonable price, too. But then again, I am no coffee expert…so perhaps, I just did not know any better.

And that was ok. I can live with that and completely did not mind the fact that it was to be my last Kopi Luwak experience of the century.

The cats’ poo coffee is nothing but completely overrated. For that kind of money, I can have several cups of good coffee, and seriously get high on caffeine that I would probably be bouncing off the walls.

Bleahhhh.

No comments: