Monday, October 18, 2010

Bottle Sucked,Mom!

It will only be a matter of weeks now before I return to work from maternity leave. It was also not too long ago since The Bottle went on siesta while we moved on to exclusive breastfeeding after a very bumpy start.

We figured that since Spud has been quite familiar with the bottle in the first 5 weeks and even the occasional bottle feeds by Daddy/Nanny/Grandma in the subsequent weeks of her life, going back to the bottle would certainly be easy-peasy at any point in time. Feeling rather confident and in an urgent need to take care of some business required by my company late last week, I then decided to leave Spud at home for the Nanny to take over the day feed for just half a day. I thought we might as well start re-integrating the Nanny into her day feed on a regular basis from now on. Something which Spud is already familiar with.

It turned out that Spud was not too thrilled and reacted violently to the bottle. That little imp retaliated by first screaming her head off then took to sleeping rather than take the bottle. Talk about the rebellion of a child who will not nap! She raised absolute hell.

I honestly did not see this one coming.It came as a rude awakening. What threw me back was also the thought of after all the hard work of establishing breastfeeding,I cannot imagine for a second that  it could be so hard to get the baby back on the bottle.  After all, I would think that babies tend to prefer The Bottle at any point in time since they don’t have to work too hard at it.

With Google just a fingertip away, I started doing some research and found that introducing back the bottles to babies may not be as easy as we think. By chance, I found a clip on YouTube which left me laughing so hard I almost cried. It took the edges off my stress for a bit; although I do think behind the child was (or still is) a very frustrated mother.



Now, I can imagine why many sucuumbed to formula.

We have a very long road ahead of us to get this little imp back to her humble beginnings when the breasts were out of order.

No comments: