Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Long service award

In my now 14 years of being a corporate slave in a cut-throat-dog-eat-dog-industry, I have never, in my life gotten a long-service award, simply because I never really stuck around in one company for long enough to warrant one. At least for nothing more than 3 years, especially in my younger days.

Bad thing?

Not really. At least not in the industry I work in as it is an industry with high turn-over where people change jobs more often and faster than they would be changing their underwear.  In my industry, 2 or 3 years of turn-over (and sometimes even shorter!) seems to be the norm. “Job-hopping” after about a year is never quite considered a bad thing, especially if one is being poached with higher salary and better prospects. “Interviews” were merely chat sessions over coffee and, before you know it, an opportunity knocks and the money and/or career opportunity beckons you to “jump ship”.

So, when I was reminded that I will be hitting 5 years of service in my current organization come January 2013, I don’t know what to feel about it. The long service award label seems like a pretty big thing as the organization made an effort to remind and reward the “veterans” for their contribution towards the company.


While I have done various roles within the company which, in more ways than one, prevented me from staying in my comfort zone for too long, 5 freaking years in the same organization is a damn long time. I even surprised myself - I have, actually, for the first time in my life managed to stay put for 5.bloody.years.

That is just wow.

On the other hand, I don’t know if it is a bad thing or a good thing that I haven’t moved out of the organization in such a long time. It is not as if I am not being challenged in my current role; far from it - but it suddenly felt like an alarm bell: snooze or make a concerted effort to get out. While I did get random calls every once in a while to explore new opportunities, I never really pursued hard as I was either pregnant or just about to give birth. So, the 5 year mark kind of felt like a rude shock; as if I have been tasered that I need to start putting myself out there again.

I guess I am just being paranoid.

I got gold (what’s with Thais and gold?!) for my long service award, and given that I cannot quite appreciate the look of yellow gold on me, I might just pawn it off for cash. The other good thing about getting a long service award with my current organization is that I am now entitled to take a sabbatical leave.

A whole ten days of sabbatical leave to be used before 2014. I guess I should be so lucky - at least I don't get some lousy photo frame like some of my ex-colleagues from other organization.

No comments: