Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I don't know what it is exactly about this film, but this is one rare occasion where I had shed some tears while watching a movie in the theatre. It is quite rare of me to be moved to the extent where there were actually tears trickling down my cheeks several times. I'm no cry-baby but I felt dizzy as we made our way out of the theater, sniffling away with a heavy lump in my throat. I don't remember feeling so affected like this by a movie before. It is an extraordinary film with a great cast, great cinematography and storyline articulated with profound scripting. The scripted words felt lacerated to the soul; yet gently tugging your heartstrings. I especially love the following quotes:

  • "You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went, you can curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go.”
  • "For what it’s worth, it’s never too late, or in my case too early, to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit... start whenever you want... you can change or stay the same. There are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. I hope you see things that stop you. I hope you feel things that you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life that you’re proud of and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

I'd watch it again. I think this film has the potential to be a classic in the long run. Tips: If you are the kind to shed buckets, be prepared to bring plenty of Kleenex.

No comments: