Monday, August 5, 2013

A new hope

Something came up quite unexpectedly a while back. While yes, I celebrated my 5th year anniversary with my current company this year, and yes,I think that the organization has been able to give me enough challenges in the 5 years to a certain extent, I have actually been feeling quite “dead” and under-valued for a while. My soul feels empty and under the new management, I felt that the room for personal growth has come to an end. With the new opportunity in sight, I know in my heart that it is time for me to move on.

In fact, I have, in the last 2 months been serving my notice with my current job. Two weeks after I tendered my resignation, I was told that I had to disclose the specifics to my new employment,citing “non-disclosure confidentiality clause” based on the business that I was working on.

That didn't sound quite right to me, and so, after checking around, it is now safe to say that as an employee, you are not obligated to disclose your future employment regardless of where you are in the world. Unless you have signed a specific indemnity form addressing that, the current employer does not have the right to demand answers as to where their current employee would end up. (and neither do you as a potential candidate is obligated to disclose your salary to your future employer as suggested by this article here).

Although what I will be doing in the future seemed to have escaped to the grapevine, I have refused to officially disclose my future employment. I now have another long, brutal month to go before I’ll be unshackled and boy! Does time ever go so slowly! 90 days to serve your notice is a bloody damn long time; I am convinced that it is a sure-fire way to kill anyone’s soul.

But, there is a ray of hope. In about a month, I will be embarking on a set of brand new challenges with a different, but familiar organization. It is the organization which brought me back to Bangkok more than 8 years ago.

I am not quite sure what I am up against, but this time, it feels like I’m making a strategic move (albeit a slightly lesser package). It feels right. And besides, the draw is that I kind of feel like I am going “home”.

My life journey begins again. Wish me luck!

No comments: