Monday, August 19, 2013

Jelly-crazy

Jelly, plasticky, bendable flat shoes have always fascinated me.  Unfortunately, I have always found the price to be notoriously expensive that I don’t think I could ever justify to myself why I am paying more than 150 (Singapore) dollars just to be able to walk in them.

So, when one Mummy-friend of mine told me that she got a pair of those jellies at a sale for her 3-year old tot, I was excited. I thought, if I can’t get one for myself, I would certainly consider getting one for Spud if the price is affordable. She then proceeded to send me a shot of the shop located in Siam Discovery Centre along with a couple of pictures of jelly shoes for kids which were on discount.
The shop at Siam Discovery Centre, Bangkok

Colourful selection of Jelly shoes for kids
 Aren’t they not the cutest little things!

I don’t think I would want to afford the shoes had they not be on sale.  At 40% off though, it gave me an excuse to get Spud a cool pair of blue jelly shoes. Spud showed an instant liking to the Jellies the moment I showed it to her. I let her try it on when I got home and it took a good amount of convincing before she agreed to take it off her feet and not walk around the house with it.

As for me, I cannot remember the number of times I tried a pair on since I first saw it at a local mall at least 5 years ago. Each time I tried a pair on with the intention of purchasing it, I managed to convince myself that I don’t really have a need for it. They were, however, so, so comfy and I remember that they were still pretty affordable then.  By the time I decided to actually buy it six months later at that time, two things happened:
  1. They did not have the ones I really, really liked in my size.
  2. Thanks to my curse, they were taken off the shelves soon after
This time though, I threw caution in the wind and scored myself a pair of brownish-red Jelly.

These jelly shoes emit a very strong, plasticky, weird smell. It sorts of give you a high, although it doesn’t beat the “high” I feel from finally being able to buy us a pair of awesome Jelly shoes!

I caught Spud sniffing her shoes the first few days every time she put them on, and when I asked her if her shoes smells yuckky, she gave me an expression as if to say I was crazy and then replied in a matter-of-fact-tone with a, "Noooo. Smells nice."


Brand:Melissa + Campana
Cost (from memory!): 740 Baht (Kids), 1,390 (Adults) 
From: Jelly Dreams, Siam Discovery Center

Related post(s):

No comments: